Green Coconut Rice
Chef Liz Arraj
2 TBSP. olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 cups of greens; kale, spinach, whatever you love
2 cups of uncooked Basmati rice or rice of your choice
1 can of coconut milk
1 1/2 cups water
1. Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are caramelized.
2. In blender add onion and garlic mixture, greens, coconut milk and water. Blend until smooth.
3. Combine green liquid and rice together. Cook 15-20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is fluffy. Let rest for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Beet and Apple Salad
with Curry Vinaigrette
By Chef Liz Arraj
4 large beets
2 scallions, sliced thin
1/4 cup currants or raisins
2 apples, diced
3 celery stalks, diced small
1/2 cups walnuts, chopped medium
Can use beet greens or omit
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
Boil your beets until you are able to pierce thru beet with knife. Remove skin, dice and cool on baking sheet.
In large bowl add rest of ingredients. Create your dressing and combine everything together.
Beets can be cooked several ways; boil them until they are soft and you can removed the peel with your fingers or using a peeler, remove skin and dice, toss in olive oil and roast in oven until done. You can also slice them thin and make beet chips.
Crispy Walla Walla Onions
by Chef Liz Arraj, owner of Terra Veg Vegan Eatery in Klamath Falls
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, peeled and cut in half, thinly sliced
1/4 cup flour, your choice
1. Heat oil in pan.
2. In large bowl put onion slices and flour, toss until coated well.
3. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
I know crispy onions aren't exactly healthy but they are delicious! These are super yummy on top of dishes or in sandwiches.
Sweet Union Greens
by Chef Liz Arraj (owner of Terra Veg restaurant)
1 bunch Swiss chard, de-stemmed and chopped
1 bunch Spinach, chopped
1 bunch baby bok choy, de-stemmed and chopped
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 stalk of green garlic, tender green and white parts, thinly sliced or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can coconut milk
2 TBSP. soy sauce
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt or to taste
Pinch of crushed pepper flakes
1. Sauté your onions and green garlic until tender.
2. Add remaining ingredients including your chopped greens. Cook greens down until soft. Serve on top of your choice of grain.