9/26/2017 0 Comments
Week 16 - Tuscan Fennel Quiche
Tuscan Fennel Quiche
Chef Liz Arraj
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 lb. cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup of water
1. Pulse in food processor until flour and butter are combined. Slowly add water until combined.
2. Press dough into pie pan.
3. Pre-bake in oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
1 yellow onion, diced
2 leeks, white and green parts, sliced and cleaned well
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced and then diced
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
1 cup heavy cream
1. In olive oil, sauté vegetables, starting with the onion first.
2. Add 2 cups Mozzarella, grated, on bottom of quiche crust. Put veggies down. Add 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated, on top of veggies.
3. Prepare egg mixture, whisking in a large bowl.
4. Bake quiche at 400 for 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
Ras el Hanout Roasted Carrots
By Chef Liz Arraj
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 green bell pepper
2 tsp. Ras el Hanout (Moroccan spice blend)
2 tsp. salt
3 TBSP. olive oil
1. Slice your carrots. In bowl, toss with olive oil, spice and salt.
2. Bake in oven at 400 for 35 minutes or until soft enough to stab with a fork.
Thanks to Chef Ramsey and youTube, I learned this fun way to cut bell peppers. Put your bell pepper stem down on your board and using the curve of the pepper, cut from top to bottom so you have thick strips. When you are done the core, seeds and top are still all attached and can be disposed of easily. Then take the thick strips and dice them to your preferred size.
Roasted Potato & Green Beans
Chef Liz Arraj
2 lbs. potatoes, your choice. Scrubbed clean and diced into bite sized pieces
1 lb. or 4 cups of green beans, parboiled for 1 minute, cooled & chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1 TBSP. dried Tarragon
1. Prepare potatoes and roasted on oil baking sheet in oven at 400 for 20 minutes or until you can put a fork easily thru them. Let cool.
2. Boil water and toss green beans into it for 1 minute, then plunge into ice cold water. Chop.
3. Prepare dressing in small bowl and whisk well.
4. In large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss well.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TBSP. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt or to taste
1 tsp. black pepper or to taste
Here's a silly trick for peeling large potatoes really fast and without risking peeling your fingers in the process. Insert a fork into the top of a potato and hold on to it as you quickly peel your potato!