Scrumptious Swiss Chard Roll by Chef Liz Arraj
Makes 8 rolls
4 large Swiss chard leaves
1 cup hummus (see Pele's Fire Hummus recipe below)
1 avocado, mashed
Red onion, finely minced
2 carrots, grated
1. Wash chard leaves well and pat dry, cut rib out so you have two long pieces.
2. Gently spread hummus and avocado over each leaf.
3. Sprinkle grated carrot and onion
4. Roll up and serve!
An easy trick to get thin slices of avocado; Cut the avocado in half, length ways. Take the pit out by whacking a knife into the center of the pit and twisting it, the pit should come right out. Then cut the bottom of both pieces of the avocado. Holding half of avocado in one hand, take a butter knife in your other hand, and cut your slices down to the hard skin and transfer each slice onto your roll. This way you can not only control how thick your slices are but can also use the butter knife to transfer the avocado.
Pele's Fire Hummus
2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 TBSP. of tahini
4 TBSP. olive oil
Juice of one lime or one lemon
1 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. sea salt
2 TBSP. tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp. crushed pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor and mix until smooth, add a small amount of hot water if needed, taste and adjust until consistency is smooth and easy to scoop with flat bread or vegetables.
2. Serve in shallow dish and garnish with extra olive oil, spices and freshly chopped herbs of your choosing.