A simple Indian Tomato Chutney by Chef Liz Arraj
2 TBSP. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. black mustard seed
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
4 jalapenos, minced
1 TBSP. fresh ginger, minced
6 medium tomatoes, chopped
2-3 TBSP. brown sugar
2 TBSP. chopped cilantro (may substitute with parsley)
1. Heat oil and add seeds and spices until fragrant.
2. Lower heat and add jalapenos, ginger, and tomatoes.
3. Simmer until cooked down nicely.
4. Add sugar until the acidity of the tomatoes decrease.
5. Serve in bowl, garnish with cilantro and eat with flat bread or put on rice. zxxx
Anytime you are dealing with tomatoes they are going to be acid. A simple way to cut the acidity in tomatoes whether you are creating a chutney or a tomato soup is adding sugar. Brown sugar is my preference. Play with your food and see what you come up with.