8/22/2017 0 Comments
Week 11: Stuffed Anaheim Peppers
Stuffed Anaheim Peppers
Chef Liz Arraj
Pre-heat oven to 375.
Slice the tops off 6 peppers and then slice down one side creating a "pocket".
Remove ribs and seeds from the peppers.
Place in well oiled baking pan.
Fill with stuffing and cheese.
3 TBSP. olive oil
1/2 cup uncooked basmati=about 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, minced and unseeded (if you like it spicy!)
1 14.5 oz. can of stewed tomatoes, Mexican style or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
Pepper jack cheese or whatever cheese is your favorite.
1. Sautee yellow onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and jalapeno, sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add stewed tomatoes, cooked rice and beans, cook for 10 minutes.
3. Stuff peppers. Any extra stuffing you can put around the peppers.
4. Bake for 25 minutes uncovered.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until your cheese is melted.
6. Finish off this dish with drizzling the sauce across the roasted, stuffed peppers.
Creamy Lime Cilantro Sauce:
1/2 cup plant based or regular mayo
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
Juice of 2 limes
3 TBSP. agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tsp. cumin
1. Combine all ingredients in blender, blend until smooth.
Peppers are super fun in dishes. They lend varied levels of heat to your palate. A fun trick to try is to make your own roasted peppers. If you have a gas stove, simply roast your peppers over the open flame using metal tongs to flip them over when they blacken. When completely black put them in a bowl and cover with a plate. The steam of the covered pepper will loosen the skin and after 10 minutes or so, you can remove most of the blackened skin from the pepper. You can then add this flavorful and smoky pepper to any recipe you would like. If you don't have a gas stove you can roast them in your oven or on your BBQ using the same technique. I personally love adding them to hummus. It's delicious!
Leave a Reply.